Friday, September 26, 2008

...and frolicked in the autumn mist, in a land called Honalee...

One of my favorite things about elementary school was getting the Scholastic book order forms and poring over them, trying to decide what book I would order. Half the fun was just looking! Captain Max got his first order form and we went through that ritual of looking and yesterday, we got the books!
In his backpack were 2 fine gems of storytelling. Puff the Magic Dragon (nostalgia, anyone?) and Zen Shorts by Jon J. Muth. We sat on the floor, cuddled up and dug in. Zen Shorts is brilliant and calming with wonderful, soft illustrations. Instant Favorite. Then we read Puff....or I sang it and we looked at the pictures. (Don't you feel silly reading words to a song?) When we got to the part, "One gray night it happened, Jackie Paper came no more...", the Captain's lip was quivering and eyes were welling up with tears. (You know that part, right? When Jackie grows up and is too old for imagining a giant magic dragon?) I completely remember that reaction in myself, every time I read that book when I was a kid. (I had the book that came with a record (I'm OLD.) that played a bell sound every time you were supposed to turn the page.) Well, I don't exactly recall what happened after "Jackie Paper came no more" in my story, but in Max's new book, it ended with a nice suprise that dried up both of our tears and made us smile. I just love that sensitive little Captain! He really has such a wonderful heart.

Both of these books are worth a read. Beautiful illustrations and timeless stories.



In other news, here's a work in progress. A scarf for my girl C. It's knit in Lion Brand Nature's Choice Organic Cotton, which I am LOVING. It's a simple chevron pattern from Barbara Walker's treasury. I love the scalloped edge of a chevron pattern. I made one last week for my sister's birthday in a wool-soy blend. I didn't get a pic, but I will ask her to send me one.

And last but not least, check out Baby Fish. Isn't he a big boy? Helping with the laundry? He really just loves to open and close the door to the washing machine and dryer. I can't wait until he's old enough to make my laundry folding slave. The Captain is my dishwasher unloading slave. We all know the real reason for having kids is indentured servitude.

No comments: